9.06.2010

Weekend. What a Weekend!

Sunday was the adventurous day. Every year on labor the city of..um.well where I live, puts on one of the largest firework displays in the country synched to music. The downtown area attempts to squeeze over 400,000 people on their streets and roads, to watch this display. After church let out for the evening, my friends and I changed clothes and drove down there as well. 


400,000 people +  finding parking = not so much. We finally spotted a parking garage that looked empty and zipped in, congratulating ourselves on our genius in spotting this garage. We found ourselves a spot to watch everything, and settled in. Well the place we'd pick was less than ideal as we soon found out, since we were standing up by the bridge, where the display was being shot, we couldn't see the fireworks in the water or off the side of the bridge.  Which was sad, cause I love the waterfall of fireworks going of the side. 
And because we were where we were,(heehee) we couldn't hear the music that was being broadcasted on the other side of the bridge. *sigh* So we saw this guy and snuck up behind him, and listen the best we could to the music coming out of his cheap little radio. *one our local radio stations hosted the event so the played the music collage over their station.* About halfway through they noticed what we were doing I think, and starting acting um well like boys who think girls are paying attention to them. Dumb in other words. ;) 


As soon as it was over, we all dashed for the car, making sure we had a firm hold of my friends 9yo neice. Once in the car, we were telling our driver for the evening to go back the way we came out, since we had driven in the exit, on accident. However she had other plans, and went in the opposite direction, which landed us smack in the middle of where "everyone else" had parked. 


We literally sat for about 40-45 minutes before traffic started moving. We had to do something to keep ourselves from dying of boredom, so my sister Kristen and Rebekah's niece Kimber and I did a couple Chinese Fire Drills, much the amusement of our fellow people stuck in the garage and to ourselves of course. I consoled myself with the thought most of them probably thought I was 16 anyway. 


Then we all went to Sonics for "real ice cream". ::Grins:: We were almost home, when I get a call from a friend or ours, whose children make an appearance on my blog from time to time, and whom I've baby-sat for several times. Any baby no. 5 was due last week, and we've all been waiting impatiently for her arrival. 


Apparently between the time church let out and booms day celebration she'd gone into more intense labor had already dilated 7cm and wanted to know if I wanted to come up and photograph the baby as soon as she was born. It was already 1130pm, and since I didn't have to work the next day, Rebekah, Kimber and I decided to sit up and wait for Baby T to make her appearance. And wait we did. Around 12:45AM I texted Michael to see how things were progressing, the midwife texted back telling us she'd been at 9 cm at 12:15 and everything was progressing nicely. I had to laugh, what a great midwife. :) 


Around 1:15am the midwife texted us and let us know to expect a baby within the hour, so I finished cleaning my bathroom, and woke up Rebekah and Kimber so we could head out to the birthing center. When we arrived, we texted Micheal to let them know we were there, and the midwife came in and led us to the family waiting room area. 


An hour later, we heard the tiny cries of an angry newborn, being thrust into a brand new bright world. It was about 30 minutes before we could go see them, but she exercised her lungs throughly during that time!!! Despite being the oldest of six, I have never been able to hold a brand-spanking-new baby, so I was pretty much speechless while holding her tiny little body. 


Her she is Miss Lydia Grace - Born at 2:52AM September 6, 2010 - Weight: 8lbs 13.5oz Height 19.5 inches. You'll be seeing a lot of her in the future I am sure. :) We left the center, tired, jacked up on caffeine but happy to be a part of the beginning of a new little life. 


I also discovered why photographers turn photos black and white. You don't know how badly the lighting was in this photo! bwahahahahaha


And that was my Labor Day. :) I didn't go to bed until like 5AM, so you can guess how I spent the majority of the daylight hours.

1 comment:

Muriel said...

Beautiful fireword photos!! I love the new watermark, too cute!