8.19.2014

The Day Before ...

August 19, 2014 

12:00PM arrives and I make a mad dash for the door. I officially have to make 10 minute walk turn into five, or so. As I’m tripping down the stairs my phone goes alerting me to an email. Seeing as it was an email from orientation I stopped to read it. 

Your advising appointment is scheduled at 1:40PM - 2:00PM in Room ###. 

Really? Well I can’t go to lunch now if that’s the case! 

So I return to work, and sit until 1:30PM. 

Then make a mad dash to the ****** Business Building, run around the second floor, locating it, finally find the office I’m supposed to be in, and collapse into a chair. Amazingly enough I’ve got five minutes to spare.

1:40PM  hits  …. its my turn! Hello? Yes can we get this over with? 
1:45 PM …. must be running a little behind ….
1:50 PM… what in the world people, I’ve got a time limit! 
1:55PM …. Erin *******? 

Finally! 

“Why weren’t you in orientation??” 

I was taken aback by this question, why wasn’t I in orientation? 

I work here on campus, and couldn’t make it, however I did speak with someone about this and was given the ok (not that this is really any of your business… !) 

“Who did you talk to? Paige? She’s just a student worker, she has no authority, we weren’t told about this blah, blah, blah… Where do you work? What do you do? 

At this point, I’m really becoming less and less impressed with the treatment I’m receiving. Look dude, I’m not just another student, I’m full time staff here, and I really believe you need to up the respect game quite a bit. 

“I work in the ************** building, and am at the front desk, I’m actually on my lunch break at the moment…” (which has been wasted sitting in the lobby!) 

Once we got that out, he seemed to calm down a bit, and proceeded to give me the fastest advising in the history of advising. 

You need to take, such and such class, sign here, date here, sign up for these on your own, email me if you need help, good-bye. 

*slam* 

I thought my last advisor was bad, but this one takes the cake! 

Did I mention he also had the gall to tell me that at nine credit hours a semester, it would take a “very long time” to finish. 

That’s all the University will pay for Sherlock! 

So I spent the rest of the evening searching for classes that would fit into my schedule and mentally tried to adjust myself for school starting… tomorrow. 

I was lucky enough to secure all evening classes, but that also means, I have to be out the door as soon as 5:00 hits, so I can make it to my 5:05 class, which is at least a five minute walk away.

SO here’s what I have to take this semester: 

Math 119 - College Algebra (because apparent the three classes I’ve taken prior to this didn’t count as college algebra.) This class is taught by a Chinese grad student, with a thick accent. Fun times. He can write english fine, which has been my only life saver. 

English 102 - Travel and Travel Writing - Time to move up an English level I’m not so sure I will enjoy this class, I’ve already missed one writing and reading assignment, due to signing up late. 

Musicology 110 - Intro to Western Culture Music ; I really thought this class would be boring, but as is turns out its been pretty interesting. Despite lasting for three hours and bringing me home at 10:00PM. 


This should prove to be a fun semester. 

No comments: