Would it be alright with you guys if I changed my blog title again? I stumbled across an article on Facebook listing 100 Eighteen Century novel titles, and came across on that fit my life to a T. (Tee? not sure. Whatever)
“I can’t afford that, and other tales”
This week I was officially accepted into the university of Tennessee as a transfer student, with a major in business exploratory track.
"We can't accept you to aI feel as if they are being totally judgmental on my multiple past majors.perment degree seeking program just yet..."
With that acceptance came a $250 price tag on ‘securing my spot’ then another $50 to sign up for orientation . $300 right there and I don’t even have a class schedule. I’m beginning to recall why I never wanted to attend a University, not too mention I STILL NEED TO PURCHASE WHATEVER BOOKS I NEED AS WELL.
But you don’t have to pay tuition Erin! Look on the bright side.
Speaking of employee perks, orientation for my division starts bright and early on Tuesday morning and is touted to last until at least 3 pm. As an employee this doesn't really work real well for me, as my department will be extremely busy with the influx of students that a new semester brings.
So I emailed the orientation supervisor asking if there was really a need for me to get a tour of the campus since I’m an employee.
“Oh, orientation doesn't last *all* day, just until your advising appointment, which may be as late as 3PM.”
Not *all* day. Right, because that’s totally going to go over real well with my supervisor.
I emailed her back, asking if I can just get an advising time, and come on my lunch break.
I haven’t heard back just yet.
Which brings me to another point, while there is a policy in regards to employees taking classes, which details out PART of the process of signing up for classes, there doesn't seem to be a real step-by-step procedure for things such as orientation and work. Never mind. I don't know why I'm surprised by this.
I spoke with no less than four different departments to answer the above questions, and two of the places I was directed to have yet to get back with me. [Update 8/18/14 - One department did get back with me, but just sent me back to the first place I talked too..]
Why doesn't one person know all the answers?
So… Fall 2014 could still not happen.
Update: 8-18-14 So I used my lunch break to walk to the JRB Building, a 10 minute walk at best, but in heels it felt like forever. Once there, I stumbled into a waiting room loaded with students.
The conversation is as follows:
Hi, I'm an employee here, and a new student, and I was wondering what your walk-in hours were for
today . (I asked it like that to see if I would have time to sit after work . .)
Oh we're not doing walk-ins past 10:00AM tomorrow.
Hmm ... well, I 'm an employee here, so I have to be at work during those hours (I work at the SH building...) and typically have to be there at 8:00AM, what time do you think I should come?
"Well they start seeing students around 8:30AM, so if you want to get here early, there will probably be await ..."
OK. Time for another approach. So they told me I needed to attend orientation, but as an employee I can't really do that... what should I do?
Great. Yeah. So I'll just stick with my original plan (Come in super early tomorrow for orientation, and try to talk my way out of staying.)
Once I got back to the office, I made a last ditch attempt to talk to someone in the New Student Orientation office.
"So I'm a staff member and a new employee, and am wondering if I need to attended orientation"
"I was told that the only time the business undergrad program did advising was during the orientation."
Oh, that's true..
Oh well just email our office, and we'll try to work something out for you.
O.M.G THANK YOU!!!
So that happened, and I have yet to hear back.
I am slightly stressed, but not much.
I’m highly annoyed at the amount of money I (and my family loaned to me) spent.
Que sera sera
Update 8/19/14 - Got up at the .... really early, drove to campus, got checked in, found the supervisor, reminded her she'd talked to me, and boom... Oh just come back by 12:00.
SERIOUSLY. YOU COULDN'T HAVE EMAILED THAT TOO ME FOUR DAYS AGO?
I'm done.
Update 8/19/14 - Got up at the
SERIOUSLY. YOU COULDN'T HAVE EMAILED THAT TOO ME FOUR DAYS AGO?
I'm done.

.jpg)



No comments:
Post a Comment