6.03.2011

The Trouble with Cars....

Why my new car just might get me into trouble: 


I've always joked the reason God has only allowed me to drive...clunkers/older almost clunker cars is for my own good. Its not secret that I don't  didn't really enjoy driving, and liked to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. 

However despite my many run-ins with the local police department (from the frequent fender benders I find myself in...that were not.my.fault) I have only got one speeding ticket in four years, and have never driven as fast as I was driving on that day. (because THAT was one fiasco I NEVER want to go through again) However, I have been cited at least twice for not having up-to-date registration or proof of insurance in my fathers vehicle, which cost me a pretty penny. 


I haven't gotten my registration and insurance card for my car just yet, so when I climbed into Miss Belle yesterday afternoon, I sent a silent plea to God, to help me make it to work without an accident or being stopped by the police. Those may have not been my exact words, but the jist was the same. 


Did knowing I could be cited for driving, lets just say, "illegally" cause me to be more cautious when driving down a hill-y(?) road, on which I have seen at least one police officer on? Nope. And did I have a moment of panic when I came over said hill (60 in a 30. HEY I was going down hill!) and saw a police officer sitting on a side street. Um...Yes!  I, like everyone else, hit my breaks and slowed down to may be 50mph, and coasted on past...nothing happened. 


Then he pulls out. 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.NO.NO.NO.NO. 
Nothing happens. 
Ok mabye I just wasted a panic.


I get to the stop sign and there goes the lights. 
I put on my turn signal and pull into a church parking lot.
I return to panic-but-there-is-nothing-I-can-do-now mode.  


Mind you, I just got this car Friday so I don't have Proof of Insurance or Registration in my car. The last two times that happened, I forked over two hundred dollars in fines over to the county. Not to mention the sixty dollars to get my dad's registration renewed. 


So you can understand a little of my panic as he slowly approaches my car. 
And.
Asks.
For.
My.
Drivers License. 


THAT.IS.ALL.


He goes back to his car, runs my name/number, finds nothing, comes back and lets me go with a WARNING. 


I would have jumped out of my car and hugged him, if I weren't afraid of being arrested for assaulting a police officer. Not one question in regards to my registration or proof of insurance. I was in a state of shock, happy, but still shocked that I'd just dodged a major bullet.


Apparently God was looking out for me, despite my stupidity! 

2 comments:

Stephany said...

Ha! Only you...only you. :) Happy you got off with just a warning, though!

Joanna said...

When I first started driving I had an old, crappy, will only get to 70mph car. I never sped much in that. But when I got my new car I would find myself going 85-90 without even realizing it!!! Soooo thankful I've never gotten pulled over! I'm happy you didn't get a ticket. :)