3.09.2010

Peer Pressure

>We interrupt our regularly scheduled blog for thoughts from Erin <
Peer Pressure.
Something that’s been on my mind lately.
What do you think of when you see or hear those words?
Does is make you think of something bad?
In Sociology class last week, we talked a lot about peer pressure and “group think” in society as a whole.. Most of my classmates tended to think that Peer Pressure was bad, and for the most part I agreed with them. I was a “victim” of peer pressure from as a child...my loving awesome friends, were pretty bad influences on me, but I really wanted to be accepted. So guess what I did. I went along. As I grew older, the left me behind and I began to get a backbone, and started becoming my own person. Their leaving was a big wake up call for me as I realized my life had been revolved around what other people thought of me. I think once I started raising my first guide dog puppy, that I really started liking who I was as a person. That morphed into me not really caring what other people thought of me..I do care, but at the same time I don’t. I want people to think of me as a trust worthy, respectable, kind, stylish (hee hee) but at the same time, I don’t care if you don’t like how I dress, how I express myself, my political views..etc..etc..

But on the flip side, I don't believe all peer pressure is BAD...in the sense of life destroying....my current friends have placed some good pressures on me, such as teaching me to share, or give of my self more...While other pressures is just more wanting to fit in with your peers....

So why is this on my mind?

Well….because I’m actually suffering from blog peer pressure.
I started this blog, because I didn’t want to keep cluttering up my dogs blogs, with my personal stuff, so I began Erin (-) Guide Dogs which morphed into Life of a College Student …and now is known as I Should Be Studying(I’m getting to a point here. For real.) I didn’t blog overly much, as my life revolves around my dogs…but it was about me, my life what I felt.... Since gaining more blog readers, I feel more and more pressure, to post content for my readers to keep them happy, to give away things, and to not post what I’d really like too for fear of..the unknown..what will people think of me if I write this or say that.
 
I'd love to give stuff away, but am I doing it because everyone else is?

Its killing me to have these thoughts, because this is something I thought as finally under my belt. I don't think I'll ever get past caring what people think of me, but does that mean I can't have my own opinions,thoughts, or ways of doing things??
What happened to the 18yo girl who was blogging for the fun of it??

Maybe I'll never give anything away...
Maybe I'll continue changing my blog layout every other week...
Maybe all my posts will be completely random...
Maybe I'll continue to edit my posts 15 times after I've published them...

But that will be who I am, what makes me unique from everyone else out there.

What am I trying to say here?
I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing and lovin it.

Hopefully I haven't scared everyone off...

4 comments:

Ally and Eclipse said...

Keep doing what you're doing! You may lose some readers but what's it really matter? If they don't want to read what you have to say, it's all good :-D I love your blogs and that you don't conform to what others think you should be doing, so keep it up, keep doing what you're doing and be happy with it, just like you said :-D

joeandbridge said...

Hi! I'm just poppin in to follow your blog! Hope you can come follow mine!

Bridgette Groschen
The Groschen Goblins
http://groschengoblins.com/

Sam said...

I say keep at what you WANT to do! If you lose readers, then that's a real shame, and their loss. I didn't know we were risking readers by posting about what was on our minds... After all, that's the point of blogging isn't it? To talk about what's on your mind? If not, then I guess I'm doing it wrong, lol.

Katie Lane said...

I love your attitude!! I try to blog the same way, completely random - whatever whenever I want. It is suppose to be fun after all!!