3.10.2010

Adventures of a Puppy Raiser

I know I have new readers who may not know what I do, or why I have photos of a dog in public places with me....

So today I thought I'd let you have a little glimpse into one of the bigger parts of being a Volunteer Puppy Raiser (check out the new page at the top of the blog). (I also refer to Puppy Raisers as PR or PW)

As you know Pompei is my 4mo furry sidekick until next January sometime, and that I'm working with him to one day become a guide for someone who is blind.

One of the biggest part of raising a guide dog or service dog puppy (yes there is a difference between the two) is socializing them to new people, places and sounds all.the.time. And I try to get Pompei out in the public at least five times a week as per G.D.F (short for the Guide Dog Foundation) request.

Today's adventure took us to the vet for a fecal check up and then to the Super Target that I've been wanting to check out for AGES...

Due to his age, I normally will find a spot furthest away from the door, so that we can find a "Busy" (our word to tell the dog to go potty) spot. Normally I like to make sure the pup has gone before we leave home, since its just so much easier to get them to do it there. The new sights, sounds and smells of a new environment are really hard to compete with, and today was no different. Pompei wandered around the empty space I'd selected and sniffed the are, picked up a stick, dove for a piece of gum...so I figured he didn't have to go. And suited him up,(he wears a yellow vest/jacket that says "Future Guide Dog" on it which indicates that he is a GDP..guide dog puppy) and made sure I had some clean up supplies..
{Can we go now mom?}
Forgot the paper towel...fine I'll just get some in the bathroom.

We head inside, since he did not go, I'm constantly aware of each step falter, each body movement that is not in the forward walking motion...

For some reason I decide not to head for the bathroom, but just to get in and out as quickly as possible. Except for one thing. I have no clue about this stores layout, or where anything is. So we start walking toward the food, that's one thing I know I need to get.

First stop is the towel aisle...you can never be too prepared IMO... :) When we stop I have tell Pompei to "halt" and he knows to either stand or sit until I am ready to move on again and the I tell him to "foward".
 

After that I got my food, while he bored-ly alternated between collapsing dejectedly on the floor, and trying to solicit attention from the few moms and grandparents that were in the store.

(I love shopping in the morning!) I was on my way to find the last item on my list when my phone rings. I put my now heavy basket on the floor, and start fishing in my tote for my phone....
Phone is one, i say hello and start reaching for my basket when I happen to look at my puppy...quietly squatting next too me.

Basket goes back down.
  • Thank God that I'd grabbed the paper towels
  • Fish out a poop bag, and began cleaning up..
  • Spray floor with disenfectant 
  • Look up to the sounds of laughter and see pup wandering off down the aisle..(he didn't want to be associated with what just happened i think )
  • Jump up and grab puppy, this time securing him to you, and attempt to finish wiping the floor as a shopping cart comes bearing down on you....
  • Hurriedly finish swiping at floor and tie up baggy, and move yourself,dog and your basket out of harms way, all the while talking on the phone to your mother.
Yeah I'm good. HAHAHA


Walk away mentally slapping yourself for not keeping an eye on the time, and continue shopping. 

Very Quickly.
{He refused to move closer too the bags}
Needless too say, all trips are not like this one, and I've learned not to be embarrassed by anything my puppy does in public, as he is a dog, and I can't not make him be a dog. I just try to help him be a very polite, quiet guest if possible, and make sure I clean up any messes thoroughly. 

And that's just a little glimpse of what I do day to day....its not for everyone, but I figure I know how much I enjoy my independence and if I can help someone else gain theirs, its worth every accident, every chewed object, every sleepless night, every penny spent.

1 comment:

Julie said...

No comments on this one. How can that be. You are making the greatest trainer for the little guy. He will be wonderful at what he will be doing later in life when you are though with him. Good for you. Keep it up, someone out there needs the independence we have and you're going to make sure it happens. Thank you for sharing. Take care and have a safe and blessed weekend.