5.06.2014

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

"Now that I have some **extra money, I think I'll ... spend it getting my alternator rebuilt!" - said no broke college student ever.

This story started yesterday, when I climbed into my car to go for a ride. Obviously.  I put the key in the ignition and turn it and wait for my dashboard to light up... nothing happens ...Odd.  I turn it off, then turn it back on ... still nothing. No dashboard lights, no speedometer, no fuel gauge, no turn signals, no air conditioning, radio works, inside lights work, headlights work, but no daytime running lights...and no windows. Seriously?

So I do what any girl would do, and call my dad and go through the litney of questions that comes with diagnosing problems over the phone.
Yes the car turns over.
Yes I can drive it.
No, no signals, no headlights, no A/C, no windows ... right, no A/C, no windows, no fuel guages, no speedometer, yes its running now... no it doesn't act like anything strange, no I can't roll down the windows... Yes the car runs fine, just is hotter than, a hot thing that's hot!


We finally settle on a bad battery, as after one turning off-turning on event, the car just died and refused to come back on. If its just the battery, no biggie.

So I get up bright and early this morning, and run to AutoZone to get a new battery. (Because that's exactly what I was saving my monies to do) The sale and installation of said battery went really quickly, and I hopped in the car hoping beyond hope that the problem was fixed ....

But it wasn't.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time for more diagnoses, and had to dash off to work.
Surely I could get our handy mechanic guy to check it out for me while I was there .. 
But for some reason he decided to go on vacation this week of all weeks.
Who does that? Honestly.

So I spent the day, dreading the drive home, and trying to work up the nerve to go BACK to AutoZone and have them re-test my alternator to see if that was the problem. I have an issue with people recognizing me in public you see. Turns out, I (and google, and my dad) was right. The alternator was bad, and the cheapest option would be to get it rebuilt.

Joe Blow and Hole In The Wall, garage can fix it for you in fifteen minutes flat! Give him a ring tomorrow.

blech.

Not exactly what I wanted to spend my day off doing. Not only that, but it turns out they rebuild 'em cheaper if YOU (read: my dad) takes the alternator out yourself, and bring it too them.

Great. Welp. Guess I'll be spending my day cleaning house, instead of grocery shopping tomorrow.

waah.

(Special Shout-Out to Coworker S for letting me borrow her car at lunch!)

(**read: no longer have a $200+ utility bill, and finally paid off my car -woot, woot!) 

No comments: