3.27.2013

Peace.


Its that moment.

The moment when the house is completely quiet except for the sound of the computer keys.
The moment when you hold your breath and dare not move a muscle.

The moment the baby(s) have finally gone to sleep.
Eyes closed you let out your breath in a slow rush.
Blessed quietness.
Peace.

And then a small whimper sounds.
Then another...
and another ... this time much closer and you glare at the fiend who dared add to the disruption.

"Hooonestly!" The look intones. "You won't die of starvation if dinner is delayed an hour or two, or three, or however long the babies decide to sleep." This of course, directed at the much older and more knowledgable dog at your feet.

Another mournful noise emits from below the desk, this time a bit louder.

Its in this moment you could cheerfully strangle your dog.
In the nicest sense of the word possible, of course.

* * * 

My neighbors got puppies the other day. Two of them in fact. Not exactly sure why, despite text conversations this afternoon. They are out of town on a family emergency  and me .. being the good neighbor that I am... decide to check on them and see if they were still there or not.

update: apparently the puppies were on death row, and they rescued them. so ok. 

Not only were they there, they decided they wanted to come with me.

It was quite cold out and I couldn't leave them to the elements so I scooped them up and took them home with me.

They've been here ever since.

I'm calling them BeBop & Boom Boom ... the littlest pup is a female (BeBop) and the bigger is a male (Boom Boom). Both are very tenacious puppies with a lot of attitude  Here I am doing them a favor by getting them out of the cold, and they have the nerve to scream about it!

BeBop is the feisty one out of the bunch, while her brother totally runs over her, she's the one that figured out how to get out bathroom, by climbing the baby gate, not once but four times. She's the one that raced up to David and grabbed his leg (him being at least 20x her size). Boom Boom is much more reserved and easily offended. The first time David accidentally bowled him over, he went shrieking back to the bathroom.

Don't get me wrong, its NOT a problem at all, I brought this on myself, but they are very young puppies. And young young puppies are a looooot of work.

Two means:

Twice the water and food intake the monitor.
Twice the poop and pee to clean.
Twice the energy levels to exhaust.
Twice the teeth and nails to dodge.

But at the same time its a bit less work than just one. Its hard to explain unless you've had as many puppies as I have over the last five years.
I kinda of wish I could go ahead and request my next puppy just so David can be here to entertain her. (cause it will be a girl next go 'round)

But no, must take a break from puppies. Must. Take. Break.
Sigh.


erin leigh

No comments: