Author: Kimberly Stuart
Date Read: January 25, 2013
Medium: Free Kindle Book, Purchased Nook Book (Bought it than days later they offered it free on Kindle. Grrr)
First Sentence: "I didn't set out to be the town luminary."
Genre: Comedy, Christian Fiction, Young Adult
I "Laughed Out Loud" Quote: "I will apologize," he said, taking a deep breath. Aggressively mocking a person takes it out of you."
Reviewed for: Me, Myself and I
Stars: ★★★★☆
Twenty-year-old Nellie Monroe has a restless brilliance that makes her a bit of an odd duck. She wants to be a private investigator, even though her tiny hometown offers no hope of clients. Until she meets Amos Shetler, an Amish dropout carrying a torch for the girl he left behind. So Nellie straps on her bonnet and goes undercover to get the dish. But though she’s brainy, Nellie is clueless when it comes to real life and real relationships. Soon she’s alienated her best friend, angered her college professor, and botched her case. Operation Bonnet is a comedy of errors, a surprising take on love, and a story of grace.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -My Review - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Operation Bonnet, what a story. This will probably be one of the harder reviews to write, as figuring out where to start is difficult. I'll admit it took me a "hot minute" to get into this story. [read: a few months] I clicked this book so many times, yet moved on so many times its not even funny. The first chapter kinda of overloads you with information about Miss Nellie Augusta Lourdes Monroe, and while it is interesting, its not very relavent to the remainder of the book. But that is my humble opinion of course.
Upon "meeting" Miss Monroe, I got the distinct impression she was much younger than the twenty years stated in the book. She's incredibly flighty and prone to be violent at a moments noticed. The more I read the more I felt like I could relate to ... some parts of her that is.(Apparently I have developed a reputation of being mean to boys in particular in my youth.. I am currently working to restore my image. Its hard work. Lemme tell you!) Though I found her constant sarcastic nature a bit grating, and her constant attempts at humor a bit tiring, I loved how strongly she loved despite her different ways of showing it. :)
When its all said and done I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars, once you get started it was hard to stop!


No comments:
Post a Comment