3.07.2012

What I'm Reading

What I'm Reading banner

Firethorn by Ronie Kendig
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Former Marine Griffin Riddell had found purpose working with Nightshade—until he’s falsely convicted of a murder that plants him in a federal penitentiary. Is there anyone he can trust? Amid explosive confusion, covert operative Kazi Faron breaks Griffin out of a maximum-security prison. Then she delivers the death-blow—-the Nightshade team has been dismantled. Together Kazi and Griffin must rescue the others and figure out who’s behind the sabotage. Can two people overcome their mistrust of each other in time to save Nightshade?

My Review:
I don't think my heart has stopped pounding since I put this book down an hour ago! I've only read one other book by Ronie Kendig, and was eager to read this one as well. Since this was the fourth book in the series, I didn't have the background that would have aided me while reading this book. However, once I was able to organize the characters into groups, such as: ones I cared about (Kazie & Griffin), the bad guys, Nightshade guys, and "The randoms" I wasn't able to put the book down!


If you are interested in thriller, military, romance books with a christian theme, this is the one for you! But... I'd advise starting with book one.

Tall, Dark, and Determined by Kelly Eileen Hake
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Welcome to Hope Falls where three enterprising young females are accepting applications for husbands-for-hire. With one woman already snagged, Lacey Lyman is one of only two remaining. No one really catches her eye until a handsome hunter arrives. Will Lacey find a way to bag her prey? Determined to investigate why Hope Falls’s mine collapsed, Chase Dunstan poses as a potential husband and a hunter, giving him the perfect excuse to poke around inside and outside of town. If only he could get the chatterbox Lacey Lyman off his trail. Can he keep his cover while solving the mystery of the mine?

My Review:
This book, has potential. I, like many others, started with this book, which turned out to be the second in a serious of books by Ms. Hake. I figuring out the back story, of the book, took some doing, but once I did, it moved along smoothly enough.


18-year-old Lacey Lyman and her four friends, have apparently moved to Hopefalls in an effort to save, or recreate a saw mill, that her brother had started before he was injured in a mining accident. This part was very un-clear to me, but beside the point.


Chase Dunstan, a mountain man by trade (whatever that means) has arrived in Hopefalls to figure out why his brother died, and who was responsible.


As I said before, the book had potential, I think the main theme was supposed to be romance, but just as the beginnings of a relationship were about to start, the author seemed to have enough, and they kiss, and are ready to get married.


Um.......


So, I closed the book feeling a bit disappointed. The potential was there, but it didn't quite live up to what I was expecting, considering the beginnings of the story.


View all my reviews




Both books were recieved to review for NetGalley and from the Publisher

No comments: