3.02.2012

Adventures in the Kitchen V.3

There are days when I just in the mood to cook. 
As a college student, I never really had time to do a lot of cooking; so when I did it was always a drudgry because I was tired, exhausted and had a million other things to do, besides eating. 


Enter Pinterest.


The combination of Pinterest + lots of random time on my hands, I have found out that cooking can be very enjoyable when you aren't stressed! Who knew!


My latest creation, can't really be called cooking I suppose, but it was enjoyable none-the less. 


This tale starts a couple of weeks ago, really. I was at my friend's house and was afford some homemade hot chocolate mix. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was the best hot chocolate from a mix, that I'd had in a long while. 


"I need this recipe" says I. 


And she, nicely directed me to "A" website with a simple looking hot chocolate mix recipe. What she failed to tell me, was that SHE didn't make the mix, nor was the website she sent me too, anything like what they had served. 


So I'm happily measuring this and that, heating water, eagerly anticipating my first cup of hot cocoa. 


I was a bit concerned, that the recipe only called from a 1/2 cup of hot chocolate mix, while you loaded up on powdered sugar, creamer and dry milk.. but no matter, this is what it says to do! Far be it from me to say any different. 


The water was boiling at this point, so I pour a mug, generously supplied helped myself to four big scoops of mix. 


My first sip was... nasty.


I stirred some more, let it cool, and went back to review the comments left on the website. 


Another sip, still tastes like dry milk with some chocolate powder. 


I went back, dumped half the container of hot chocolaty mix into my bowl, and tried again.


My disappointment knew no bounds. 


6 cups of waste. 


Was there any way to salvage this at all? 


There was.


Several google searches later, I came across another recipe, that had you add a package of instant chocolate pudding, along with unsweetened cocoa to the mix. 


I knew what I had to do. The next day, David and I headed to Kroger to pick up the ingredients that may just save this mixes life. 


IT DID! 


The stuff is officially AMAZING. Add some whipped cream? Its heaven I tell you. 




Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix [as Modified by yours truly]



  • 2 cups powdered milk
  • 1 (3 ounce) package chocolate pudding mix (use regular not instant) [Erin Notes: Instant works just fine]
  • 1/2 cup powdered instant chocolate drink mix (such as Nestle Nesquick)
  • 1/2 cup french vanilla non-dairy coffee creamer
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder

  • Directions: Mix Well! :) 

  • Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/creamy-hot-chocolate-mix-in-a-jar-for-gift-giving-191970#ixzz1nn3RkGvt

    3 comments:

    The Teacher's Pets said...

    So good to get back to reading your blog again after a 6 month absence! Your blog posts are still as entertaining as ever and this time you chose just the right recipe for a relaxing evening. I will try making this delicious drink tonight! I'm no cook but I can handle this recipe, I'm sure. 

    Teacher's Pets said...

    So good to get back to reading your blog again after a 6 month absence! Your blog posts are still as entertaining as ever and this time you chose just the right recipe for a relaxing evening. I will try making this delicious drink tonight! I'm no cook but I can handle this recipe, I'm sure.

    Erin said...

    I saw a couple of post from you, and realized it had been a loong time since you've been in the blogging world! Glad you're back!