3.24.2012

Adventures in the Kitchen v. 3.19.12

I think we have established by now, that I am a picky eater. However, there is one food I will consume, every day, all day if I could... and that would be pizza. Not that home-made, thin, crunchy stuff, but think crusted, cheesy, deep dish type pizzas.(Pizza Hut anyon)  So when in search of something new to try, it was a no brainer that the Pizza Loaf was going to be at the top of my list.

This was a really simple recipe, and fun too. Prep time takes about fifteen minutes, and the loaf is fully baked in about thirty. I was really pleased with the result, and its definitely going to be a regular menu item in my house.

I made three batches, the first I used the whole pound loaf called for in the recipe. The second time I divided the pound loaf into smaller sections, and made two smaller loafs, which made easier storing. I will be freezing at least one, to see how it does. I ate some of the first loaf for dinner, and it tastes just as good re-warmed as it did fresh.
 
Things the recipe won't tell you:
  • This recipe calls for frozen bread down, and while it says not to let it rise, if it rises in the refrigerator, its no biggie. 
  • I don't know what kind of frozen bread dough was used in the original recipe, but mine doubled while in the oven. I don't know why I didn't think of that before, but your nice jelly roll, won't stay so nice after it gets out of the oven. I don't know exactly how to fix that, but it tastes good.
  • The original recipe does not have you add pizza sauce to your creation, for good reason. But I  am (sometimes) the type of person who has to find it out for myself, so I did, and I did. Go with the original version. It doesn't taste bad, but it is soggier.
  • If you make smaller loafs, don't put them as close together as I did!! The middle won't cook as fast! Blegh! 
Mini Pizza Loafs Fresh from the Oven. 

Pizza Loaf

  • Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
  • Yield: 10-12 Servings
203555

Ingredients

  • 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 8 ounces sliced pepperoni
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup pickled pepper rings
  • 1 medium green pepper, diced
  • 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives
  • 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce

Directions

  • On a greased baking sheet, roll out dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, Parmesan cheese, oil, parsley, oregano, garlic powder and pepper. Brush over the dough.
  • Sprinkle with the pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, pepper rings, green pepper and olives. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under.
  • Place seam side down; brush with egg whites. Do not let rise. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Warm the pizza sauce; serve with sliced loaf. Yield: 10-12 slices.
Originally published as Pizza Loaf in Quick Cooking September/October 2003, p28



erin leigh 

Don't forget! My URL is changing in 1 days!
www.mynameis-erin.blogspot.com

No comments: