Have you ever tried to write a manual?
Can I tell you it is one of the most mind numbing, tedious things I've done to life, but due to recent changes at my job, my down time has to be productive in a manner other than browsing the web.
So after getting mad, then frustrated, then resigned I have determined to be the change instead of hoping for it.
This much I've learned after six months on in this position. If you want something changed, you have to have already made it and present it. Otherwise....
So yesterday I had the idea of appointing myself as representative for my department to the higher ups.
Today I spent the day digging for documents containing what my job responsibilities were. Not surprisingly there a few miscellaneous documents containing some pieces of my job description, a list with SOME of my responsibilities listed, but nothing containing all the tasks I accomplish on a day-to-day basis.
So I have taken it upon myself to work on this.
I have spent the ENTIRE day typing, and organizing and writing, and reading and searching and printing. I've got quite a bit done, to be honest, but the list is still quite extensive.However it has made time go by quickly and I look SUPERBLY productive.
If anything I can now spell manual on the first time. (Originally wrote "manuel" first before receiving a red line)
I feel that my business and technical writing class will come in real handy in the coming months.
More later ...
Can I tell you it is one of the most mind numbing, tedious things I've done to life, but due to recent changes at my job, my down time has to be productive in a manner other than browsing the web.
So after getting mad, then frustrated, then resigned I have determined to be the change instead of hoping for it.
This much I've learned after six months on in this position. If you want something changed, you have to have already made it and present it. Otherwise....
So yesterday I had the idea of appointing myself as representative for my department to the higher ups.
Today I spent the day digging for documents containing what my job responsibilities were. Not surprisingly there a few miscellaneous documents containing some pieces of my job description, a list with SOME of my responsibilities listed, but nothing containing all the tasks I accomplish on a day-to-day basis.
So I have taken it upon myself to work on this.
I have spent the ENTIRE day typing, and organizing and writing, and reading and searching and printing. I've got quite a bit done, to be honest, but the list is still quite extensive.However it has made time go by quickly and I look SUPERBLY productive.
If anything I can now spell manual on the first time. (Originally wrote "manuel" first before receiving a red line)
I feel that my business and technical writing class will come in real handy in the coming months.
More later ...
No comments:
Post a Comment