7.03.2014

Five on Friday: New Job

1.) A New Job - This week I started my new position as an administrative assistant for [Department Name Here] at [School Name Here]. While I took a pay cut, the benefits and nine free credit hours PER SEMESTOR more than make up for the $80 a month I am losing. At least that's all I hope I am losing! 

 While I definitely will miss the friends I made at my last job, it was past time for me to move to a different working environment. Part of the reason I've been so quiet over the last year, was due to the stress and conflict I felt about my job. It kind of took over my life for the last year and a half, and I didn't feel like releasing that angst on the internet was the best idea, especially while an employee. 


Now that it's over? Let's just say ... that's one year and nine months of my life I will never get back. Moving On.



2) The New Job  - Today marked the fourth day at the new place, and so far ... I love it. My coworkers have made a great effort in including me, and making me feel as if I am a part of the organization. I appreciate it so very much. 

I, like anyone, hate the transition period of "I have some skills but not the skills you need me to need right now." I can feel the expectations of me, and watch myself come short hourly. Despite the turmoil in my past job, I knew it inside and out. There were rare moments when I came across a challenge I couldn't handle, or a question I couldn't find someone who knew the answer. I was confident in my knowledge. It was acknowledged hard come by, but I'd finally "arrived". 


Now I'm back at square 1.5. I can help out in a basic sense, but not enough to feel like an equal. Today I answered phones, checked people in, and handed out named envelopes like a pro. Need a stack of papers shredded? I'm your girl! Have a complicated question? "Can you please hold?" 


I left work today wishing I had an instruction manual to study over the next three days, so that I can go in Monday feeling a little bit better. Everyone has been super nice, and I am happy to have another co-worker my age in the same department. 


3.) Things I love about the new job - Now, part of the reason I left [Place that shall not be named] were the hours. As a college student they seriously sucked. As a person wanting to live life, they also sucked. It could have been worse definitely, but for me... they just weren't my cup o' tea. So the regularity of this job, the fact that as soon as the clock hits 5PM I am out the door REGARDLESS, is AMAZING. 


Unfortunately, they don't pay overtime, so being out the door at five is a must, or else you dock an hour the next day.  


The office is also amazing, I get my own desk, I get my own keys, the dress code is super casual (I wore heels Wednesday and felt super dressed up), not to mention I LOVE being able to wear CLOTHES all day long. [Read: Yay no more scrubs or uniforms!


4.) Did I mention they are paying for school? - Yes, people. Nine credit hours worth of school and the only tab I have to pick up is books. As a struggling college student, this job is literally an answer to prayer. Of course I am "Staff first Student second" so any schooling is worked around my work scheduled. NO PROBLEM. 


5.) Weekend Plans - First week of work, and I'm already looking at a three day weekend. It really can't get better than that. I don't have many plans for the next couple of days. My parents are out of town, my sisters are out of town, my friends are out of town, so it's just me and the munchkins. I hope to get some grocery shopping down, prep for next week, find a reasonably priced hammock and read at least two books before Monday. 





No comments: