7.09.2013

Musings of the Bedridden

I hate being sick. It's so complicated, especially when you are working and still considered the "new kid on the block." I hate having to call in and convince the powers that be that I can't come in. I've been a relatively healthy person for the last five years, so calling in sick is foreign to me. But likewise I hate coming in, being sick and having to drive home. So you're stuck in a quandary of to go or not to go. Today I was actually out the door when I realized I could barely walk far, much less deal with the demands of my receptionist position.

I'd spent the night writhing in pain, but after emptying the contents of my stomach early that morning I was pretty sure with a couple of more hours of sleep I'd be good to go. A little woozy perhaps but good to go. That's how it happened Sunday night, so what would be different about today?

It was one of those... hmm, I feel better.. got up start moving around, and slowly realize you're slumping lower, and lower and its getting harder and harder to do something simple like brush your hair. 

So you can imagine my manager wasn't happy that I was calling in so close to time. Which I totally get, but at the same time, I was actively striving to come in as scheduled.

I'm still not sure what ails me, while I feel better and have been able to hold down some food... Its been the strangest sickest I've experienced  No fever, no backache, no ... other unpleasantness except for the vomiting ... but lots of stomach pain, made worse by food or water; and no comfortable position to lie in. I figured it must have been something that I ate, and was happy that I was able to clear my stomach of the offending morsel.

I was literally terrified for a while to google my symptoms for fear something horrid like gall stones, kidney stones or the like would pop up.


.....article left incomplete. published May 4, 2014
erin leigh

No comments: