7.16.2012

What I'm Reading

What I'm Reading banner

The Lady of Bolton Hill 
by Elizabeth Camden 
 
When Clara Endicott and Daniel Tremain's worlds collide after twelve years apart, the spark that was once between them immediately reignites into a romance neither of them thought possible.

But time has changed them both.

Daniel is an industrial titan with powerful enemies. Clara is an idealistic journalist determined to defend underprivileged workers.

Can they withstand the cost of their convictions while their hearts--and lives--hang in the balance? 


The following review was done on my own, without any endorsement from the publisher or author. Thank you. 

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   .  .  .

For the first time ever, I’m actually reviewing this book as I read it. Something that never happens people. My reviews might be more interesting if I did this more often. Hmmm. But anyway:

WARNING SPOILER ALERT!

Wow.

That’s the only word that comes to mind as I’m reading the “The Lady of Bolton Hill”. I’ll be the first to admit I judge books by their covers, and I was pretty secure in thinking this would be another romance with the twist of having the characters know each other in the past. I was wrong. Daniel and Clara are best friends united by their love of music. (one of the parts that made me really love this book) However Daniel is from the “poor” side of the tracks while Clara has lived a privileged lifestyle.

They have enjoyed growing up together but Clara’s family realizes she is becoming a young lady, and Daniel is NOT an option for her. So in an effort to nip this relationship in the bud, they pack Clara off to England. And things start to become interesting.

The first chapter starts off with Clara in jail, and subsequently being rescued by her brother and shipped back to America. Didn’t see that one coming? I didn’t either. Then we find out that Daniel has done very well for himself, he’s grown up, owns his own, prospering business, but he has changed. He’s become more hardened, angry, bitter. Something Clara was not prepared to deal with at all.

Daniel is holding on to deep set rage towards the company that killed, in his mind at least, his father, and is dead set on destroying said company brick, by, brick. Regardless of who or what he has to hurt.

But what Daniel doesn’t know, is there are others out to get him.

And for the first time… I kinda of want the bad guy to win. Daniel to this point, has annoyed me. Especially his treatment of Clara. He says he loves her, and doesn’t want to live without her but when she does something that angers him, he sue’s her? REALLY?

For the first time, I really hope Clara can find someone else to turn her mind to, but admire the fact that she’s willing to stick by her friends, and I can’t say that I wouldn’t and haven’t done the same. However that doesn’t change the fact that Daniel is a royal jerk.

The Knapping of Clara sends Daniel into a tail spin, though this part went a little fast for my tastes, she’s gone for a day and Daniel turns to God, someone he’s distained to even think about before?

The rest of the book was a bit disappointing to me.

Clara converts the evil henchmen, and starts him back on the path to “goodness”.

Cue the happily ever after music.

Isn't that what you wanted to happen Erin? Sure.... but with all the build up, it felt like such a letdown for everything to be resolved in the next couple of chapters. How in the world do they all get to return home and have nothing happen? You got kidnapped but no hard feelings?

Geez.

So yes.

That is my review of Lady of Bolton Hill.

What a letdown. 

erin leigh

No comments: