3.11.2011

Budgets Part III

There are times I feel old beyond my years.
Why is a 21 year old worrying about budgets?
*Says the girl who thinks cleaning is fun*


I've posted before about the struggle budgeting is for me before. Well, I should say "the struggle controlling the impulsive shopper, in me is." So unless I have money to blow (which never happens) I avoid places such as: Bookstores, Target, Old Navy, Ross, Kohl's, Petsmart etc.. unless I have money to blow, or just need to do some Therapy shopping.

There are times you just need the fun of bringing home something new, you know what mean?

But I digress.

After the serious failure of the last couple of months, and the purchase of a new (for me) car in my near future, and hearing someone-of-influence-in-my-life, say incredulously "What in the world are you doing with your money!?" (oh I don't know spending it?)  My determination to come in way UNDER budget this month is at an all time high.

So I spent days going over my shopping lists,Checking and double checking my house to make sure I wasn't over buying. I also wanted to purchase some extra things, so I had to create a budget for that; which meant taking away from other things, but it worked our pretty well in the end. Anyway, my March Budget ended up with these categories:
  • Food
  • General Items (Decreased by $50)  
  • Home Decor  
  • Tithe
  • Gas (increased by $10)
  • Pets 
  • Fast Food (Decreased by $10) 
  • Education (aka Books which also decreased by $10)
  • Savings (aka whatever's leftover)
  • Plus all the usual bills (cell phone,insurance.. yada)
On your mark...get set.....GO! 

Day 2 
Soooo I was really proud of myself Tuesday. I priced shopped everything to the inth degree, found low to free shipping on everything I bought online (from flashlights to dog food), and had stayed well below my budget food wise. However, I didn't factor one small detail  into my purchases. Shipping time. While most of my supplies could arrive whenever...I quickly discovered I was completely out of Rob's food. Rob's very expensive food. Think $16.99 for 4lbs of dog food. Needless to say, we'll be changing foods as soon as I can get the "A-OK"..as much as I hate to feed "my" dog that......purinaonestuff.. my budget needs it.

Anywhooo....

When I went to check the order status, I just got a "Order is being being packaged" notification with no indication when it would leave, much less arrive at my house. So I decided I could probably afford a small bag, to tied him over, that way I didn't run the risk of giving him the runs, by letting him eat my other dog's food. So after our trip to the vet yesterday, (Where I impulsively purchased one of these amazing candles, a must have if you have a pet you're potty training, but NOT in the budget) we stopped by Petsmart.

Yes the Petsmart that is on my list of "NO-GO" places.Cause I can't help but by more treats or toys. Sure enough, an hour later ( you can't go anywhere fast with a 9week old puppy, wearing a yellow jacket stating: FUTURE GUIDE DOG on it. Especially if he doesn't like to stay in the shopping cart you placed him in.) we walked about $40 poorer, with dog food, a new toy, bitter apple spray and some treats..and a very happy puppy.

Then today, I get online and see...our food is scheduled to arrive at my door.......TODAY. 

Waaaaah

He totally could have survived for one day on my pet dog's food. Oh well. Live and learn.

So I kinda blew in the pet category this month. I'm so annoyed with myself.

However, I did stay way under budget in my other categories, which gave me a little cushioning in my spending indiscretion.

So. Yay Me!
And Better luck next month.
erin leigh