8.12.2010

{Thursday - August 12, 2010}

*sigh*

Today is the day my suspension goes into effect. 
Here's the thing I forgot to mention, in my previous post.
I was still using my old license from the state of my birth and life for the past 18 or so years. 
I should have changed it last year, to the state of my current residency...but life got in the way, so many documents you have to have, that I didn't at the time. 
So when I heard about this, my first thought was...since I have about A WEEK before my license is suspended, let me get my in state license taken care of now, so I don't have to worry about that. 
Welll...that thought was sort of struck down, I was told to call the "State in the US that I used to live in" DMV and request a hearing, or talk to someone there. I did and the person was extremely un-helpful but requested a hearing for me. 
Ookk.. 
Truthfully I didn't see how that made any difference since I don't live in "State that shall not be named" and even if I just let the suspension go, I wouldn't be able to get my license reinstated through them, since I DON'T LIVE THERE. So at the last minute we decided to try and get my resident state license. Thankfully my father had run over to the "State of my birth" and was able to get my birth certificate. 


So I called my boss, switched work schedules, located documents and got set to try and get my licenses. 


I arrived at the DMV office at 1430 hours (2:30pm) and handed the lady my documents.. But it wasn't meant to be, while my paycheck stub was applicable, my bank statement was not because it wasn't "Stamped and dated as an active account."  *insert annoyed expression* 


Me: The bank doesn't have stamps
DMV Lady: Well we can't accept this unless its stamped and dated. 
Me: I asked them to do so and they said they didn't, here is their card  if you want to call them 
DMV Lady: We don't call people. Here's a list of acceptable documents. NEXT!


So I headed to my car to cry and call my mother. (Cause that's what you do when things don't go your way.)
Maybe I just needed to ride this suspension out...but then how am I supposed to get a license in state that I would now have lived in three years? 


So my mother advised me to try the bank again, despite only have three locations in our fair city. Downtown, West Town and ...West town. (Cause all the rich people live there and is about 35-40 minutes away from East Town)


Downtown it was then, I had my dear mother to check and see if there were any other DMV offices closer to downtown, while I sped, drove towards the bank. Once there I get the same teller I got last time, who directs me to one of the managers. Unfortunately both were busy so my name was put on a list and I took a seat, on one of the cushy couches. 


Both parents called me while I was there, and instructed me to get my document notarized. Except for the small fact that an irate customer had just stormed out due to the fact he couldn't get his document notarized for some reason or another. 


*RED FLAGS*


But I was determined to talk to someone. When it came my turn however, the poor lady had no clue what the DMV wanted, and quickly informed me that her Notary license had just expired. The DAY BEFORE. I explained, that I didn't know what exactly the DMV was looking for but this is what they said was required, so she (bless her heart) pulled up her computer and started looking for requirements as well. 


After 5 minutes of searching, we finally located the list. All of the sudden, she gets and up and says "I'm going to make an exception." The next thing I know she's come back with my document stamped, dated and notarized. 


I literally could have hugged her. 


But thanked her as profusely as possible, and the dashed for my car. 


It was 4:15 pm and I needed to find this "new" DMV office before 5:30pm, despite missing my turn I still made it too the office by 4:34pm and entered to find the small room PACKED with people. As i approached the desk, the lady informed me that they were completely out of numbers and I could be put on a waiting list, if I wanted. But it would be better to come back tomorrow. 


Oh I WANTED.


So I sat down with a drivers application, and waited. and Waited.. and listened  while they told people the camera was down, and waited some more. At 5:00PM they told people, the camera had been down, they didn't know when it would be up, come back tomorrow as we're shutting this place down at 5:15pm. 


Half the people got up and left. I and the other half stayed. Literally. 1 minute after the place emptied out. The camera started working again. The remaining people lined up to get their photos done, and other staff members started calling numbers. Since most had left, most of the numbers were void. I and one other couple were the only "waiting list" people still here, so we anxiously watched the numbers click through. 
Other people received their licenses and left. 


Finally the couple (who were the annoying pushy kind) asked (for the 6th time) if they could be seen. At this point the staff decided to run down the waiting list, since no one else was coming forward. at 5:10PM I was called, and gave the lady my information. I registered to vote and signed up as an organ donor. <--eek!


Within 5 minutes I was walking out with my newly issued licensed. <-insert collapse on the floor relief. 
I don't cry very easily but I defiantly thought about shedding a tear or two over this situation. 


12:01 am  my other state license was suspended. But that didn't matter because its not even applicable anymore.


Today when I got into work, I told my boss (who just happens to be a Lieutenant in our police department) was shocked to hear this situation, and quickly ran both my new license and old to see if anything had been transfered to the new. Nope...and yep the other license was suspended. 


So now we wait. Wait to see what  Birth Home State does. She did assure me that current state wouldn't do anything if BHS did send the info too them. *Thank You Jesus! 

But we've got to see if BHS will do...since I had a hearing requested for me, my current question is whether to ignore it, or cancel it. This past week, has be so. stressful. A lot of things were said, some walls seemed to have been built up, there was a lot of emotions involved. I don't think people felt I felt this situation was as serious as it is. And I felt that some things were handled a little harshly. 



But as of this moment, in this time, in this place. 


I CAN DRIVE!!!


And that's really what I care about. :)

1 comment:

Stephany said...

What a crazy, stressful day! I would've cried a billion times!!

And yes, we always go to our mom when things get too crazy. They always know the right words to say to calm us down!